Sunday, February 7, 2010

Tragedy Before a Year

On Tuesday Feb. 2, one week before his first birthday, Garrett was playing on the bed while I was vacuuming and he decided to see what would happen if he walked off the end of the bed... Result...Broken leg. After a half hour of crying he fell asleep so I let him sleep, but when he woke-up he was happy but would not put any weight on his right leg. So after lots of discussion we decided to take him in to have his leg x-rayed. The doctor assured me after checking him out and giving me the third degree as to what happened that a child of his age doesn't usually break bones because their bones are so soft. He said that he would x-ray it just to make sure and after lots and lots of time waiting (I was there for 2 hours) it was determined that he did fracture it or what they call a green stick break. Basically how I understand it is that their bones are so soft and bendy still so he just kind of bent his bone. The doctor put a splint on him and then referred me to an orthopedic doctor who would make sure it healed correctly and wouldn't cause him any problems down the road. We went there on Thursday and he got a little tiny blue cast that he has to have for 3 weeks. Due to the fact that their little bones are so soft it only takes half the time for them to heal than it does an adult. (All of the pictures of his splint are on my phone and I don't have the right cord to connect to my computer so there will be more pictures once I get that figured out.)They even gave him this little shoe to use if he ever learned how to walk on the cast, which he is pretty determined so he might actually figure it out. He has been a really good sport about the whole thing though and has figured out that he might just have to crawl for a while.We use one of my big slipper socks over his cast to keep it from rubbing on the back of his leg as well as to keep his little toes warm.
The girls are such big helpers and have been really careful with Garrett once we explained to them that his leg was hurt really bad. They also bring all their friends over to see his cast.
I am hoping that this is not the beginning of lots of injuries, as I was just thinking the other day how lucky we have been to avoid our childern getting injured...my hope is that our luck hasn't totally run out with Garrett.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

oh man! poor little dude! I wish I lived by you so I could bring you a meal - good luck chimpo!

CharityMay said...

poor guy! nick broke his arm when he was 18 months old - climbed out of his playpen. i remember getting the 3rd degree at the hospital, too. garrett will be just fine! (and i believe boys are much more accident prone than girls by nature!)

jo said...

poor little guy. on a much happier note, he is SO DANG CUTE!